Thursday, December 19, 2013

Planted the Greenhouse Today

The guys finished the second chicken coop a couple of weeks ago and we moved the pullets out of the greenhouse.  With the rainy crappy weather I have had a hard time getting motivated to do anything outside, even under the greenhouse roof, so I just got around to planting seeds in the greenhouse today.

I'm not much of a gardener, so this project is a little hit and miss.  I was dumping compost in there for the chickens, so I had to turn all of that into the ground.  Then I hoed the dirt into small hills, and made sure all of the clumps were broken up in the hills.  My friend Susan, who is an avid gardener, had given me some seeds, and M had also given me some seeds that she has collected, both, I think trying to motivate me to get the greenhouse going.  It turned out to be a little overwhelming, and for the size of the greenhouse, I probably have five years' worth of seeds.  

No gardening knowledge is involved in how I decided what to plant and how I arranged.  I made five rows, and there are four cross sections defined by the wall supports, so I selected 20 different types of seeds and divided each row into four sections.  I planted a bunch of herbs because I like to cook with fresh herbs, and then planted mostly salad stuff since that is the most difficult to get up here and keep fresh:  a few different lettuces and greens, carrots, peppers, and a couple of kinds of tomatoes, along with some broccoli just to see what happens.  I didn't even try to figure out relative space for each type of plant, so I probably won't have anywhere near enough tomatoes and peppers, and I will probably have herbs out the wazoo.  Except for Susan's seeds, all of the seeds were a little on the old side, so I'm just going to see what grows, and I'll base the next round on what works here.


No comments:

Post a Comment