Saturday, December 7, 2013

Fogon and Horno on the Way!

Since we moved from the B&B, I have been missing my outside kitchen.  I have a really nice commercial stove here, so it hasn't been a major irritant, but every time we eat at the B&B I visit the fogon and horno and sigh before enjoying the delicious food Janeth cooked on it.

With the road work getting done last week, Tulio and the crew are back to work on the final few things on our house, and one of them is my outside kitchen.  Tom and I met with Tulio on Tuesday to draw up the plans for the fogon and horno, and they poured the slab and built the base for the mesa this week. Tom and I went shopping yesterday and got the firebrick and cement, and it should be done in two weeks when the crew leaves for the holidays.

My B&B outside kitchen was built in the Maya way with limestone, white mal, and clay.  This one is being built with cinderblocks, firebrick, and cement so it will better fit the look of the farm, but I think it will work just as well, and will probably be a little more durable.  I will also be cooking on oak and craboo rather than tropical hardwoods, so I will have to get used to it.  But, I've learned over the years that even a new stove requires some adjustments as you get used to the new equipment, so this will not be a big deal.  I am looking forward to a Christmas dinner flavored with woodsmoke!

My kitchen is just inside the door to the left, so this outside kitchen is very conveniently placed.  When everything is done, the guys will face the chimney with slate.

The fogon will be closer to the house and will vent into the fireplace chimney.  The horno will be further out, and will have its own vent which we will be able to block when we bake to keep the heat in the oven.  

Like the Maya version, the base is filled with sand and gravel to hold the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment